The First Week

So Saturday I started.  Day 1 was actually pretty fun.  I switched things up every time it was time to eat – alternating between the bars and the shakes.  My doc put me on a high protein (Optifast HP) shake every morning to give me a protein boost.  He did this because of my “large frame”.

Day 2 (Sunday) was the same.  I didn’t really have any hunger issues and felt decently satisfied.  I did have a sample of the cream of chicken soup mix from my original sample pack so I tried that for dinner and it was OK – had a hard time getting the powder stirred into the hot water so I got a few nasty bites.  On the night of Day 2 I started getting a mild headache.  Dr. Z told me this was due to the ketosis my body would be entering.  It was really not a big deal but since I rarely, if ever, have headaches, it was noticeable.  Sunday night I handed out index cards with meals that I normally cook the family on them, along with a printed out weekly calendar.  I asked my hubby and the kids to write down everything they wanted for meals this week (including breakfast and lunch).  I couldn’t imagine anything worse than staring at the pantry every night and trying to think of something that would be good for them to eat when I was looking at another shake for the evening.

Day 3 (Monday) the kids went back to school.  This is probably when I did most of my “damage” with food in the past.  I would work for a while on housework, paperwork, etc. then “treat” myself with something fattening and catch a few minutes of something on my DVR.  Sometimes I did this more than once while they were at school – but I would always justify it as a “reward”.  On Monday I also returned to the gym – something that has been part of my routine for a long time.  I belong to Koko Fit Club Scottsdale and I love it.  I enjoy going – and it is fun to catch up with other moms there.  Exercise is a componenet in weight loss but especially in the maintenance phase.  I have been working out for a very long time – sometimes very hard – but only seem to be gaining weight.  But, I have a very good foundation and am very strong from lots of weight training.  Today I continued working on Week 4 of my C25K (Couch 2 5K) progam  (that I had started several weeks ago).   Despite my low calorie intake, I had no problem keeping up with the running.  I also did the elliptical for 15 minutes.  I feel like this will be a great help in this journey.  After working out, I did all of the grocery and Costco shopping for the week.  This was challenging but I survived.  Monday evening I started getting the headaches again.  I also got caught at my daughter’s gymnastics gym much much longer than I thought and didn’t have my bars or shakes.  That is NOT a good idea.  Gotta remember to always keep one in my purse for emergencies.

Day 4 (Tuesday)  Dr. Z left me a short but nice voicemail checking up on me and told me to make sure to call if I have any issues or questions.  I really like that I have an actual medical doctor keeping tabs on me.  This low calorie/rapid weight loss idea seems to be bordering on dangerous and I’m glad he is in my corner.  I also did weights at Koko.  In the afternoon, I took my first class at SWL.  Courses are included with the program fees and there are 20+ different classes offered which you can kinda take in any order.  This is a major part of the program because, eventually, we will be off this easy liquid diet and need to learn how to get a handle on eating correctly and fix issues that were causing us to over-eat.  This class today was on Time Management.  I’m starting to realize how important getting organized is to managing my stress and over-eating.  With 3 kids, I find that the “piles of crap” really stress me out and send me to the pantry for a bite to eat much too often. This is thought provoking and moving to a high priority.  Not having to worry about meal preparation for me should free up some time to address some of these hot spots.

Day 5 (Wednesday) I can tell some weight is leaving me – probably just water weight but it is noticeable in areas on my body.  Our stupid bathroom scale shows up to a 5 pound difference even stepping on it 3 times in a row.  Very frustrating.  The numbers seem to be drifting downward though.  I continued the C25K program.  I felt good with the cardio portion but my legs were very tired for the 2nd half of the jogging.

Day 6 (Thursday)  Returned to Koko in the morning for weight training then had my first follow up appointment with Dr. Z.  First they drew blood and put me on the scale – I lost 9 pounds since Saturday!  Absolutely amazing.  The scale can identify your body composition too and most of it was water weight but I also lost about 3 pounds of fat.  That was great to see!  Dr. Z and I talked about target heart rates and he said I should aim for burning 2500 calories/week by any means possible and however I wanted (a little every day, more every other day, etc.).

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The First Week

  1. Anonymous says:

    I am loving reading this, thanks for your posts 🙂 I am excited to read on 🙂


  2. Maggie says:


    Today is my first day of the Optifast 800 diet and I’m excited but nervous. Thank you for your blog, I have gone back to “How it started” and will make my way to the present. Hope you are well!




I would love to hear from you! Please let me know about your journey, how you found this blog, any questions, etc.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s